All student organizations at Oregon State are classified as either a Sponsored Student Organization (SSO), a Voluntary Student Organization (VSO) or a Non-Affiliated Student Organization (NSO). For more information on the classification system, please visit the Student Events & Activities Center. These classifications define the level of responsibility of the student organizations, their relationship with the university and how funds are allocated.
Search the full directory of student organizations
- Ensure the organization's logo or design fits the classification's design guidelines.
- Submit artwork to Trademark Licensing for approval prior to production.
- Use one of the approved licensed vendors.
- Student organizations are permitted to create unique logos to represent their group. All logos and designs need to follow the guidelines for their respective classification.
- The organization's full name should appear in the design or on the product, including club or team. This helps differentiate the organization from similar programs or departments on campus.
- All university logos, wordmarks and verbiage require the appropriate trademark registration symbol.
- Logos need to be seen in their entirety and should not be covered, layered or used as background images.
- All university logos, wordmarks and verbiage cannot be green or yellow or appear on green or yellow garments (select camouflage patterns are acceptable and subject to approval).
- Stylized, cartoon or hand drawn images of a beaver are not permitted. Use of these images undermines efforts to build a unified Oregon State brand.
- Verbiage cannot be used in a slanted font as it is not consistent with the university's branding.
- Parody designs are not permitted. All artwork should be original.
- The Trademark Licensing Program reserves the right to deny any designs that do not represent the university positively.
Sponsored Student Organizations
SSOs can use "Oregon State University," "Beavers" or any derivation thereof in the organization's name. Further, SSOs are eligible to use university logos, wordmarks and verbiage in their materials and products.
Voluntary Student Organizations
VSOs cannot use any university logos or wordmarks. Use of the university's name as an identifier is permitted. After the organization's name, student groups must list "at Oregon State University" or "at OSU."
Non-Affiliated Student Organizations
NSOs cannot use the university name, logos, wordmarks and verbiage in their name, materials and products.
- Student groups are permitted to sell products associated with their organization for fundraising purposes. All designs must be approved by Trademark Licensing.
- A licensed vendor must be used.
- Due to university regulations, student organizations cannot sell their products on campus. The sale of products featuring university indicia are only permitted at the OSU Beaver Store and in Athletic venues.