All individuals, organizations, non-profits and companies are required to obtain approval before using any of the university’s indicia. This includes all names or logos that are trademarks of the university.  

In order to use the university's marks, a vendor must enter into a licensing agreement with Oregon State. A license is a written legal agreement between the trademark owner (licensor) and the manufacturer (licensee). This license must be in place before use of the marks.


OSU has partnered with CLC, a collegiate licensing agency, to help manage the program. CLC is a full-service licensing and marketing company, assisting collegiate institutions in protecting, managing and developing their brands. Applicants must apply for a license for Oregon State through CLC. If an application is approved, rights will be granted for a specific product category and distribution channel. 

Licensing Agreements

There are four different types of licensing agreements available: 

Standard License

The Standard License is intended for companies that are capable of extensive production and retail distribution of their product(s) and/or are introducing a unique and commercially viable product to the collegiate market. The Standard License is usually not for first-time applicants or companies without well-established marketing plans, existing product distribution, and/or a solid financial history of selling licensed products. We highly recommend that Standard License applicants provide as much detailed information as possible in their application to improve the likelihood of acceptance by the institutions. This is the most challenging and expensive type of license to pursue.

Local License

The Local License is for companies that desire to obtain a license with an institution located in their immediate in-state marketplace. This license type may better suit companies that do not believe they can qualify for a Standard License, but believe they can demonstrate sales success within a few years at the local level in order to qualify. Local Licensees are permitted to sell product to institutions and their departments, retailers, and directly to consumers. A Local Licensee cannot be upgraded to Standard status until licensed for at least one full year as a Local Licensee. This license type is the next easiest and more inexpensive to pursue compared to the Standard License, but geographic restrictions do exist.

Internal Campus Supplier License

The Internal Campus Supplier (ICS) License is for companies that wish to produce items used by institutions for internal use only. ICS Licensees are not permitted to sell product(s) to retailers, direct to consumers, to nonexempt institutional departments, or to any entities unrelated to an institution. Official institution entities include athletic departments, alumni departments, recognized student groups/organizations, etc. This is generally the easiest and least costly license to pursue, but there are limitations on this license.

Premium License

The Premium License is for companies or manufacturers that wish to produce products used as premium items.  A product is considered a premium item when it is used to increase the sales of another product, increase a company's brand recognition or further a company's association with a university. Premium items may or may not be co-branded and include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Products being given away or sold in conjunction with a consumer promotion
  • Products co-branded with corporate and university logos and sold at retail
  • Products used for internal incentives
  • Products used as corporate rewards/gifts
  • Products used as dealer loaders